Thursday, September 1, 2011

What do you mean your dizzy, hurry up!


I have to give you some background before this next story. My father is freaky strong and very hard headed. He would no more go into the Dr. than get shot out of a cannon. As for me, well I am his son and not his medical provider. I am probably still a teenager in his mind. I am certainly ok with that and we have some good times together.

My friend came down from Salt Lake. I haven’t seen him in years. He was coming down and wanted to play some golf. I got a tee time set up and invited my father. My father and I have been playing golf with one another since I was a teenager. I would only beat him in a round of golf every so often and I would love to lather in the fact of beating the old man. Bob and I were beating the pants off of the old man and all he kept saying the whole day was, “man I feel dizzy”. We would almost come back in sync, “Oh quit the excuses old man and hurry up”. I was relishing in the win and my buddy was helping me rib pops. What a great day.

Next day my father comes over to the house and was moving some rocks that I had in the back yard. Well most people would use the wheelbarrow, however he chose to be a gorilla and just lift them by hand and carry them to the truck. I went inside to check on my kids and came outside, to him leaning on the back of his truck bed. I said, “What’s the matter”? I feel dizzy. I felt his wrist and it all came to clear of why I had beaten the crap out of the old man the day prior. I must have had a look on my face because he asked, “What’s wrong”. Well I think you need to sit down is first, then I need to figure out if calling the ambulance or taking you directly into the emergency room is going to be faster. I chose to take him directly in myself and on the way made a couple of phone calls to prepare them for his arrival. I believe that he is in third degree heart block. Now I know what you’re thinking, how can I deduct that from just a pulse? I can’t, but what I do know is heart rate was 30-40 regular. Well….with a heart rate of 30-40 and regular it can be only be a couple of things really. Neither of those things is good. Since he was alert and only dizzy I would figure that without an EKG it was third degree heart block. When we arrived to the hospital everything was ready. It is good to have friends. My father had a pace maker placed 45 minutes after his arrival to the emergency room. Oh and yes the assumption was right. It was third degree heart block and confirmed with an EKG. That was unbelievable to have a pace maker placed so quickly, not to mention that it should have been done the day prior or even earlier. I rarely beat him in a round of golf to this day.

No comments:

Post a Comment